Saturday, October 29, 2016

Opera Rocks – and so does Joyce DiDonato

It's no secret that I think Joyce DiDonato is a beautiful person—inside and out. She gives so freely of herself, her art, her experience, and her insight. Observing her masterclasses, one learns about singing, breathing, acting, thinking, and yes, life itself! I also have said more than once that she could seriously have a successful career as a stage director and/or life coach.

Not too long ago she started a newsletter called Opera Rocks, which is aimed at high school students interested in singing and other performing arts. I hope she doesn't mind that some of her subscribers are well beyond our teen years; for we are still eager to learn as much as we can from her—about singing, opera, music, and life.

You can read the latest issue of Opera Rocks by clicking on the link. Her Caregie Hall master classes start today at 4:00PM New York time, live (and later archived) at medici.tv.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Because of this tip I watched most of day 1 and 2 and the Tucker Gala that followed. She does seem like the most wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Glad you got to see the master classes--classes for life. Though I only saw parts of the classes on Saturday and Sunday, I was thrilled with the progress "Donna Anna" made in just 24 hours. I like the way Joyce also addresses the non-singing parts of performing that somehow hold us back. And she does so gently--guiding, not telling--allowing the performer to find her/his own way to the next level.

      I missed the Gala, but I am looking forward to seeing it (and watching/re-watching the classes) in the medici archive!

      Delete
  2. JDD has a special talent for communication (all good singers have one but hers covers a wide range of expression, what with the teaching and general reaching out beyond the auditorium). Sometimes I think it was a loss to possible students that she made it big instead of having to get a "regular job" as a music or voice teacher. Her masterclassics are modern classics, always a joy finding a new one. I have favourites I replay often :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps, as a "celebrity," she has the platform and the opportunity to reach more students than if she were in a public school or even university position.

      I, too, have several favorites from her master class sessions that I like to go back to. I particularly like the Carnegie Hall format where she works with the singers over the course of several days. I know they need SOME privacy, but I wish we could sit in on the morning sessions as well.

      Delete
    2. Yes, as a celebrity she reaches a wider range of students - plus us! When I saw her here at Guildhall there was a lady in the audience who - at question time - said she was not a musician but really enjoyed what JDD had to say for its general "life" meaning. I've felt that way often - who needs self help books when you can listen to JDD, possibly to the tune of one of your favourite arias ;-) massively underrated market.

      But I meant in the way that they could've benefitted from her long term attention in that setting.

      Delete
    3. I get what you mean. How awesome it would be if she were your a chorus/music teacher for 2 or three years! JDD Total Immersion! :)

      Delete
  3. If we're talking about alternate timelines, I'm opting for the one where JDD was the Democratic nominee in the past election. And since I'm at it, two spouses are allowed by society and so I am married to both my current wife and JDD and ....she is my music teacher.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very welcome! They won't be moderated; but rude, abusive, and/or radically off-topic posts will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...