Friday, January 31, 2014

Gratuitous Friday – Angelika Kirchschlager Sings Bach

The other day I found a recording of Bach’s B-Minor Mass conducted by Seji Ozawa. I almost just kept moving, because Ozawa is not one of the first 30 conductors of whom I would think, “Wow, I bet his Bach is awesome!” 

However, I noticed who was singing the Alto solos, so I hesitated, and listened. Here is what I heard. 


Amazon says this recording is from 2011, but it was originally released in 2002 (and that Philips logo on the cover is a clue that it’s not brand new.) 

Frau Kirchschalger also released a solo album of Bach Arias that same year for Sony, which includes my new favorite Bach aria, “Schlummert ein” and this gem from the St. Matthew Passsion: “Erbarme dich.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are very welcome! They won't be moderated; but rude, abusive, and/or radically off-topic posts will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...