Monday, June 17, 2013

“And another thing...” – More Thoughts about Blog Comments



Don't. 
Just don't. 

Don't go back with another comment. 

Don't go back to check to see who responded to your comments and what they said. 

Don't engage. 
Just...don’t.

Unless you really, really want to.

But (for me, anyway) this is where the stress starts—if you're not already stressed by the ridiculous comments others have made. 

The problem with social media is it's so immediate. You can fire off a snarky response just as fast as your fingers can fly. And it can get so personal so quickly.

But it's so hard to undo a comment.

I mean, on my own blog I can rethink, delete, and rewrite a comment response as many times as I want to. And I do like to respond. I think it makes the blog feel more like a little community. Plus that's how I learned from my blog-parents. 

But when you post on someone else's blog, often your comment is there to stay, unless you can ask the blogger really nicely to please delete your comment.

So think about it carefully when you think of one more thing to say. 
Think again before you fire off that snappy retort: 

Do you want that “and another thing” out there for all to read forever, and ever, and ever, HallelujahHallelujah?

If your answer is, "No way," then forebear. 

Eat a cookie, 
play the piano, 
go for a walk, 
listen to some Bach, 
or Mozart.
Do whatever will chill you out.

And if you still really, really want to leave another comment, 
and you’ve thought about it, 
and you just have to say, “And another thing…” 
then do it. 

But don’t say I didn’t warn you.


Oh, and another thing: If you do go back, I dare you to write one of the following responses in a heated blog comment exchange (these are the about the only two comments left out of  one notorious exchange):


I know you are, but what am I?

or

Neener, neener, neener! 


Then get the heck outta there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are very welcome! They won't be moderated; but rude, abusive, and/or radically off-topic posts will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...